Friday, October 3, 2008

Passion 2: Music (Contd.)


"Everybody

Rock your body
Everybody
Rock your body right,
Backstreet's back alright!"

-Backstreet Boys, Backstreet’s Back (1997)

Saw this playing one fine evening when I was surfing through channels. I was all of 12 years then. Really liked the video! And no, I din’t have any amount of knowledge about the teeming popularity of the band- Backstreet Boys. I just liked the song and video! Zombies everywhere! Dracula! Mummy! All in one place!! And well, keeping aside the video, the music and the singing appealed to me too! Wanted to hear it again! Made a mental note to revisit Channel V more often.

Then followed more bands and artistes like Westlife, Ricky Martin, Enrique Iglesias, Celine Dion, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Mariah Carey, Destiny’s Child, Spice Girls, Boyzone, Ronan Keating, Eminem, Dido and many more mainstream pop artistes. I followed the Billboards religiously, and kept tab of every new artiste, album and lyrics.

Name a pop band/artiste and a song, and I’d sing away, in school. ‘Jukebox’ my friends rightly called me. So much so that teachers would reprimand me for interrupting their class with singing, that occasionally got loud enough to fall into their ears..

3 years later, I was catching up with the MTV award nominations, where they played a tiny video clip under the ‘Best Video’ nominations. It was Linkin Park’s ‘Somewhere I Belong’. Now that sounded like nothing I’d heard before and I wanted to hear more! Had never heard of such a band before. The clip din’t last long and I awaited its re-telecast.

Lacking a PC back then, the TV was my only source of new music. I’d buy audio cassettes after I really liked the band. But they weren’t any real source of information on the bands either, for they too, directed us to the respective band websites..

So the tube it was, where I caught what were called ‘Rock’ bands, again. Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Evanescence, Creed, Aerosmith, Avril Lavigne.. liked them all as well! They were Generic misconceptions I know, but there was no way of telling it then. I had not many friends who’d listen to English Pop. Rock was a long way off. And so I was on my own. And the pop and apparent rock craze continued..

Another 3 years later, (I was now loaded with a PC) a friend sent me a file he recommended a listen to. Metallica - Turn the Page.mp3. Now, I’d really happily told some guy friends of mine that metallica sucked, and that it was nothing but noise, and that Linkin Park was way better, quite like every other wannabe alive today. Baseless accusations that.

Nonetheless, gave it a shot and voila! Loved it! A random play one night on the Last.fm Radio yielded the gothic metal band Tristania, a band I came to love almost instantly. It was also the 1st band I’d hunted down and downloaded the entire discography of.. piracy,yes. Dug more Scandinavian bands- Sirenia, Therion, Tiamat, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquility, Ensiferum, Kalmah….Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, Rammstein, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Indus Creed, Slipknot were slowly added.

With more friends and resources added, I slowly explored more bands along the way. Stumbled upon Opeth in yet another radio play. ‘The Moor’ was the song that got me stuck onto the band that still tops my charts. Iron Maiden happened on yet another night with ‘Aces High’ and ‘ Dance of Death’. Pink Floyd happened on many nights together. Many more bands ‘happened’ over time, many I love, few I detest, and the experience still flows on, plays on..

Hindustani Classical to metal, quite a journey its been, but I’d admit here, that each artiste and each genre have been a great experience.. none too less, none too ‘derogatory’. Each a pure and distinct element in the musical escapade to sheer joy!


----------------
Now playing: Opeth - Deliverance
via FoxyTunes

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

No Comments, All Smiles!!! :D
Supeiro Cooolaaaaaa!!! :)
Kudos SAM!!! :D

Gothika said...

whoa! ur fast mate! thanks!! :)

Anonymous said...

And thanks for reavealing the artists' names to be sought!!! :D
Now, Moooooorrrrrreeeeee Music!!! Sam Style!!! :D:D:D Hahahahaa!!!

Gothika said...

gee! i could list more! write you a recommendations list when i see thee next! ;)

The Ink in My Veins... said...

go gothikaaaaaaaaa!!! :D
nice transition...simply loved the last para...no matter what music u groove to, rem, i you are a ture music lover, you will always respect all!(himess excluded :|)

Gothika said...

@aby:
absolutely! n yep,thank heavens i never fell for any of himess' gimmicks.else wud havta compulsarily respect him :O

Kartik Menon said...

Whoa!!!! Your comment on my blog tried to combine philosophy and engineering...Kudos on that :)

Will try to convert the potential energy to kinetic asap

Kartik Menon said...

BTW did you read my older posts or just read the obituary ???

The New Age Superhero said...

the post started with lines from backstreet boys' song and my instant reaction was to close the window, but somehow my eyes caught opeth and then i said to myself, "wait a min, we got something here" :D

how i remember my days when me and my friend used to fight over who is better - backstreet or boyzone and how we graduated on to iron maiden vs metallica. well, then came in pantera and as the cliched term goes, life was never the same :P

Alphacide said...

You have good taste in music, sam. But its also cool how much different types of music you like ;)